Sébastien Van Malleghem
Is a freelance photographer born in Belgium in 1986. He studied photography in Brussels from 2006 to 2009.
His long-term projects focus on the idea of Justice in contemporary Europe.
For four years he followed the daily job of police officers and their interaction with the public. He is currently documenting Belgian prisons.
In 2008 Sébastien did a one month internship with photographer Tomas Van Houtryve (VII) in Cuba. He worked as his personal assistant in 2010.
Sébastien went in Libya in 2012 to work on the ruins of the power after the death of Kaddafi.
His work has been published online on Burn Magazine, The New York Time Lens Blog, La letter de la photographie, and in newspapers and magazines (Le Soir (be), Le Vif l’express (be), La Croix (fr), Le Temps(ch), De Standaard be), Images Magazine (fr), Photographe (fr), De Morgen (be) etc.) His first monograph book “POLICE” was published in January 2013 by Yellow Now Edition.
Sébastien won the FotoFolio Review Award at the festival “Les Rencontres d’Arles” in 2011, the Young Talent Artist Prize at the Belgian national “Collection RTBF/ Canvas Collectie” awards in May 2012, and the third prize at the portfolio review of the European Month of Photography of Berlin in November 2012.
Studies & Education
- Third Prize at the European Month of Photography folio review, Berlin, Germany, November 2012
- Artist Residency at AirBerlinAlexanderPlatz, Berlin, Germany, October - November 2012
- Artist Residency at Halsnoy Kloster, Norway, August 2012
- National Award "Jeune Artiste Plasticien" for POLICE Collection Rtbf/Canvas Collectie, Belgium, May 2012
- Personal assistant of Tomas Van Houtryve/VII since January 2011.
- Alumni Workshop Eddie Adams, Barnstorm XXIII, USA, October 2010
- Member of the CARAVANE photographic collective, July 2010.
- Internship, Photonews agency, October 2009 .
- Photographic degree at the superior art school of image "le 75", June 2009.
- Internship with Tomas Van Houtryve, Cuba, October 2008.